With our 2020 NORM Conference in Austin, TX, we wanted to learn more about our host town. We sat down with Jeff Doggett from Visit Austin, so he could give us the inside scoop on how to act like a local in Austin.
This will be a lot of folk’s first time in Austin. Can you tell us about some of the great attractions nearby?
- The Congress Avenue Bridge Bats: From April to October, Austin, TX is home to around one million free-tailed bats that emerge from the bridge at sunset. Check out this out for yourself!
- Congress Avenue Kayaks: If you’re an adventure seeker, hop on and explore Austin by water.
- Tour the Moody Theater: This is the home of the Austin City Limits television show.
Can you tell us about anything within walking distance people should check out while we stay in town?
Check out the Texas State Capitol Building. It’s so beautiful and perfect for social media pictures!
What is something unique folks could do in Austin in an afternoon?
Check out the shopping in SOCO (South Congress).
Let’s play a game of fill in the blank!
- If you’re looking for a good time at night in Austin, you should… Hangout on Rainey Street.
- If you’ve never eaten in Austin, you have to try our… BBQ! Terry Blacks, Franklin’s, Micklewait Craft Meats.
- If you brought your kids to Austin, they’d love… The Thinkery.
- If you’re looking to relax in Austin, you should go to… Hike The Barton Creek Greenbelt.
- If you want to sound like a local say… Town Lake (It’s not Lady Bird Lake).
- If you want to eat like a local… Try a breakfast taco at Taco Deli.